Living in Bolivian

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Bow Down

So I’m driving around today, enjoying the nice weather, and blasting one of my favorite CDs, a two-disc best of N.W.A. and progeny. I drive a silver SUV, and I was wearing my usual office-but-not-court uniform of cashmere sweater, trousers and heels. I aspire to the fashion stylings of Bree on Desperate Housewives. So what’s with the "gangsta rap"? In no particular order…

1. The way that Dre says "hell yeah", so it sounds like "hale yeeh".
2. Snoop’s weird sort of Southern accent.
3. The hook on "Murder Was the Case".
4. "Life ain’t nuthin’ but bitches and money."
5. Dre threatening to fade an opponent "just like a flat-top".

I’m reminded of the scene in "Office Space" where Michael Bolton is listening to rap in his car on the way to work, and he turns down the volume when he pulls up next to actual African-Americans. Why? Why do the extremely white (like myself) feel so dorky about enjoying this music? I get that it bears no relationship to my life, but neither does Wagner. And white mid-to-upper class people would never be ashamed of that. For that matter, there are lots of songs about drugs and addiction that "mean something" to me, even though I have little to no personal experience with those topics.

I intend to blast "California Love" on the way home tonight, and to proudly sing along with Tupac as he raps, "out on bail/ fresh outta jail/ California Dreamin’ / soon as I step on stage / I’m hearin’ hoochies screamin’!" Because it … speaks to me? Okay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home