Living in Bolivian

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

What'd I miss?

Much like Sheila E., I want to live the glamorous life. Naturally, that includes lying on the couch watching C-SPAN from time to time. Wooo! Par-tay!! I'm thinking I must have dozed off, Rip van Winkle style, though, because the other day the dynamic network was showing footage of John Edwards harassing bemused New Hampshire residents. Perhaps this is a rerun? That would be strange. No, wait, this is current. As I stared at the gleaming teeth, the freeze-dried hair, the man-of-the-people rolled up shirtsleeves, I was stunned. This is August, 2005. We just got finished rejecting this guy. Take a hint! How can we miss you if you won't go away?

And it isn't just Edwards, either. Evidently the good people of Iowa are also under attack from legions of poorly coiffed hopefuls from both parties. When did this happen? I know I joke about Christmas displays being in stores in September, but campaigning for an election three years in the future? For an instant-gratification society, this is totally baffling.

I love me some C-SPAN, though. The announcer guy who reads off the lineup makes Garrison Keillor sound like Flava Flav. I suspect many unplanned naps result from prolonged exposure to this fellow. How great would it be to have Flav acting as "hype man" for C-SPAN, though? Hell, Snoop is working with Lee Iacocca - anything is possible.

2 Comments:

  • One nice thing about living near Washington: C-SPAN Radio, 90.1. It's C-SPAN for people overstimulated by the combination of pictures and sounds. And if even that's getting a little too intense -- let's say Mr. Edwards' twang has been dialed up from 'country lawyer' to 'millworker's son' and the deliberately dropped g's are sprinking the ground like magnolia petals -- we can turn to 1050 AM, Federal News Radio, for and by government employees.

    Instead of Flav working as the hype man for C-SPAN, how about sleepy-voiced guy does all the talking, and Flav silently points to the times the shows start on the big clock around his neck?

    By Blogger Justin, at 4:29 PM  

  • Even a silent, pointing Flav would have those scary white eyeballs and gold fronts. I'm not sure C-SPAN is the place for his unique talents.

    By Blogger Maureen, at 4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home