Living in Bolivian

Monday, August 29, 2005

In the beginning

Ithaca, 1997

Dear Friend: You should meet my boyfriend's best friend. I think you would love him.
MJS: I don't know. You know how I am with strangers.
DF (sighing): Yes, I know. But what if it was no stress? What if we just happened to run into them tonight?
MJS: But I'll know what you have in mind, and I'll act like a loon.
DF: Maybe he likes loons.
MJS: Am I getting out of this?
DF: Not even a little bit.
MJS: Why did you even tell me? If you didn't tell me, maybe I would have met him and been in love with no outside interference.
DF: No, you would ignore him and be on the dance floor making out with your Other Friend to the sounds of Marvin Gaye.
MJS: So?
DF: So I think you should meet someone who shares your interests.
MJS: We both like musical theater and Madonna.
DF: You both like guys, too.
MJS: What time are you picking me up?

------

DF: This is Mr. Wonderful. He's Boyfriend's best friend.
MJS (warily): Oh. Hi.
Mr. W: So, what are you studying?
MJS: Law.
(silence)
Mr. W: Do you like it?
MJS: Mmm-hmm. (Noticing Other Friend on dance floor) Would you excuse me?

-------

MJS: How about you? What are you studying?
Mr. W: I'd rather not say.
MJS: Are you really a student? Do you tell people you go here, but really you're a drifter? I don't care, but you shouldn't lie about it.
Mr. W: What? No! It's just when I tell people what I do, they tune out.
MJS: If I were an aimless drifter, I would be up front about it.
Mr. W: Nice use of the subjunctive at two in the morning.
MJS: You just complimented my grammar.
Mr. W: Yes.
MJS (woozy): Oh. Gosh.

--------

DF: I was think it would be fun if the four of us signed up for dancing classes!
MJS: So much fun!
B: Okay. What do you say, Mr. W?
Mr. W: Yeah, I guess.
DF: Great. Write down your number for MJS and she'll tell you when the classes are.

--------

MJS: Dear Friend, did I just agree to take dancing lessons?
DF: I'm afraid so. What happened to you?
MJS: The subjunctive.
DF: You are a freak.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home