Living in Bolivian

Monday, November 28, 2005

White Ladies Gone Wild

I went to see the 1,078th version of "Pride & Prejudice" this weekend. Of course I did. When I saw the preview a few months ago, I was all scorn, saying, "Ha! I will not be seeing that! Enough already with the P&P - Colin Firth owns that shizzle!"

Yesterday, me, a Diet Coke, and a popcorn were parked in a packed theater in the middle of the afternoon. I have no adequate explanation for what ensued. Perhaps people had been trapped in their homes with troublesome relatives too many days in a row, perhaps they were grateful to have escaped Wal-Mart without being trampled, or maybe, just maybe, white ladies go crazy for Jane Austen.

Darcy: I dare say I know only five or six young ladies who I may call truly accomplished.
Elizabeth: Your definition comprehends so much that I wonder you know any.
Audience: WOOOOO!

Jane: Has this altered your opinion of Wickham?
Elizabeth: My opinion is so altered, I can scarce recall the basis of my esteem.
Audience: OH NO SHE DI'N'T!!!

It was actually pretty hilarious, if incredibly bizarre. I felt like I was back in East Cleveland, where the audience treated moviegoing as an interactive experience. The thing is, I can see it in some kinds of movies. In a horror flick, the director wants you to be thinking, "Don't go in the basement!!!" Whether you choose to share that sentiment aloud is a judgment call. But Jane Austen? Really?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home